Internship Opportunities at the Modern
Communications and Media Intern
Education and Skill Requirements:
Graduating senior or recently graduated student, BA or BS, majoring in Mass Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or Radio/Television/Film. Excellent writing, communication, and interpretive skills. Experience with video production and editing. Knowledge of social media.
Produce and edit a series of short, less than 5 minute, videos about exhibitions and museum programming for use on the museum’s website and social media.
Conduct recorded interviews with exhibited artists, curators, and museum staff.
Assist communications staff with development of press materials, including but not limited to press releases, e-mails, advertising, and printed materials.
Participate in planning, development, and implementation of:
• New media
• Marketing strategies
• Press events
• Other events organized by the communications department
Monitor the museum’s presence on social media.
Assist the communications staff in implementation of social media strategy.
Remain up-to-date on latest communication technology.
Excellent communications skills, both written and spoken
Knowledge of video production, including editing, script writing, and photography
Familiarity with social media
Sense of humor
Grace under pressure
Application deadline for spring semester is November 10.
Apply for this position.
Public Relations Photography Internship
Applicant should be a junior or senior photography major that is capable in various environments with a camera and is proficient in Photoshop CS2 (RAW digital images and transparency scans) and possibly Adobe Illustrator. Please send 5 to 10 images with your resume, submitted electronically or with a self-addressed envelope. The photography intern will assist the department in photographing various events and subjects for both promotions and print, assist the graphic designer in preparing images for publication, and participate on the Modern Blog as an author. This position is available Spring 2014. The application should be submitted by November 10. This is a paid internship position. Apply for this position.
Public Relations Internship
Applicant should be a junior or senior majoring in art history or public relations with an interest in modern and contemporary art.
In addition to assisting on projects as assigned and an intern-determined independent project, duties could include:
- Managing news clippings
- Fulfilling admission ticket donation requests from non-profit organizations
- Participating in Museum’s social media presence
- Researching for media buying plan: finding costs, circulations, demographics, income level for demographics
- Compiling The Modern Staff, internal newsletter
- Entering data for our e-contact database
- Creating promotional e-mails and slides
- Researching and contacting other museums, hotels, and media outlets as needed
- Preparing for Media Previews, such as organizing media responses, press kits, name tags, and photo permits
- Participating in department and vendor meetings
Candidates must commit to work 10 hours per week. This position is paid $8/hour. This position is available Spring 2014. The application should be submitted by November 10. Apply for this position.