Welcome to the Modern.
Please remember the Museum must protect and preserve the artwork entrusted to our care so that the community will have the opportunity to enjoy it for years to come. Please take advantage of our complimentary coatroom. Backpacks, bags, or purses larger than 11 x 15 inches, umbrellas, and other bulky items must be checked. Diaper bags may be securely attached to a stroller.
- Strollers are permitted if pushed by an adult.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the galleries, including water, baby bottles, and sippy cups.
- The use of cell phones is prohibited in the galleries.
- Please do not touch the works of art. We recommend keeping a distance of at least 24 inches from works of art.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Personal photography is allowed in the Museum, excluding special exhibitions and works on loan. Tripods, camera extension devices, special equipment, and flash photography are not allowed.
- Portrait photography, personal or professional, is not allowed inside the Museum. Please contact the Communications Department for more information (info (at) themodern.org).
- Sketching or writing with pencil is allowed in the galleries; please, no pens, paint, or charcoal media. Sketchbooks should be no larger than 8 1/2 x 11 inches.
- Firearms are not permitted.
- Tobacco use is not permitted in the Museum, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, water pipes (hookahs), electronic cigarettes, snuff, chewing tobacco, and any non-FDA approved nicotine delivery device. Littering the exterior grounds with the remains of tobacco products or any other related waste product is prohibited.